Saturday, November 5, 2011

Keeping it Real

I have three wonderful children...and they love this business, too, almost as much as I do...(OK, that might be a little bit of an exaggeration). But, they actually love to watch design shows...always help me rearrange furniture...know all about sorting through paint swatches...and don't mind the regular browsing for vintage finds. So when I brought home a new addition to the family, I knew they would be delighted...they love beautiful things too...

I had arrived home, with my u-haul full of treasures, to a house full of company and amidst all of the hub-bub...I made a huge mistake...

I brought in my unique find and held it up in the space...It looked AMAZING...but since we didn't have time to hang it right then...I set my new pretty in the middle of the down comforter in our master bedroom. My husband and I went outside to finish unloading. (You know where this is going don't you??!!)

Not even 10 minutes later, as I was walking into the house, my heart stopped when I heard my seven year old daughter ask in a very strange voice, "Mom, is that mirror you just got an antique??" (Smart girl...I told you she loves this business!!) I immediately took off toward the bedroom. Somewhere in the back of my mind I could hear my three year old crying in the direction of the kitchen...

I was literally nauseous as I ran into my room and saw my once pristine, antique mirror in pieces...I am not even kidding...

I was stunned...completely and utterly stunned...I wanted to rewind the clock...I hadn't even thought about it...hadn't even considered something like this as a possibility...

My husband quickly took over as I was unable to think, let alone speak clearly. As he sorted through the crying children...the story went something like this...my daughter had walked into the room and seeing the beautiful mirror, called my three year old into the room...being a curious little guy, he had crawled up onto the bed. He had decided he wanted to see himself in the mirror...this is where it gets a little unclear (no pun intended)...but somehow the mirror ended up on the floor.

My emotions in that moment surged...from "I can't believe this" to "It's just a mirror" ...then "I am sick" to "In the grand scheme of life this is nothing"...

How do I look at those sweet faces and say, "I love my beautiful mirror more than your little hearts right now..."

They were both so distraught...

Once again my amazing husband stepped in and saved the day...his words..."I am pretty sure we can fix the mirror" took me from despair to hope...and you know what, he was right...

A little glue, some stabilizing rods and a bit of time and the crown jewel of the entry is finally at home...once again, above another fabulous find...but that is a story for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment